Bethany (nicknamed Beth) is an unlockable character added in Antibirth. Any Soul Hearts, Black Hearts, and immortal hearts that Bethany picks up are added to a counter instead of her health bar. This counter can be used as charge for the Book Of Virtues or other activated collectibles. Each heart picked up increases the counter by 2. She has a chance of dropping a Soul Heart on room clear, separate from the regular room clear drop.
Bethany is unlocked by having any combination of 12 soul, black, or immortal hearts during a run with any character.
- Hearts are used in the following order: immortal hearts, then black hearts, then soul hearts. The counter will change color to reflect which heart type is being consumed.
- Black hearts will deal damage to the entire room when consumed, as if a regular character took damage and a black heart was destroyed.
- If Bethany uses 1 black heart counter to charge an item, the black heart's room-damaging effect still takes place. This means that 1 black heart (2 black heart counters) can be used to deal damage twice.
- Immortal Hearts provide a white flame orbital when consumed, even if Bethany does not have Book Of Virtues equipped. The orbital grows in size after every cleared room, generating a blue flame if at maximum size.
- Using Converter consumes 6 soul heart counters. However, even if the counter has less than 6, Bethany can still use it, allowing her to obtain 12 heart containers easily.
- Picking up an item that removes all red hearts containers such as Abaddon will kill Bethany instantly
- Bethany start with angel room spawn chance, so she can have angel room at the 2nd floor. (It is the Book of Virtues that gives her this benefit)
Note that defeating Mega Satan does not unlock anything or give a completion mark.
Concept art for Bethany's abilities.
- The name Bethany could be a reference to the village of Bethany in the bible which is home to Lazarus.
- Bethany was confirmed by _Kilburn to originally have orange hair in early concepts, similar to Lazarus's hair.