|Varies from character to character|
|Defeat ??? as Jacob & Esau.|
Birthright is a passive item.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- This item has a different pickup quote and effect depending on the character it is picked up as:
|Isaac||Choose your destiny||Doubles item pedestal spawns like There's Options. You can only take 1 of each pair, but it affects all item sources. Extra choices in Devil Rooms and shops are free.|
|Magdalene||HP up||Grants 3 heart containers.|
|Cain||Locks don't stand a chance||Grants a golden key on each floor, essentially giving Cain infinite keys.|
|Judas||Knowledge is power||Using books deals damage to all enemies in the room in addition to their normal effect, similar to a black heart or the Necronomicon effect.|
|???||Stronger spirit||HP ups give 2 soul hearts instead of one.|
|Eve||Your very own murder||Getting hit will occasionally spawn additional Dead Birds that persist between rooms.|
|Samson||(empty description)||No special effect as of now, "mimics" a random item instead.|
|Azazel||(empty description)||No special effect as of now, "mimics" a random item instead.|
|Lazarus||(empty description)||No special effect as of now, "mimics" a random item instead.|
|Eden||???||Gives a random item.|
|The Lost||Better destiny||Removes HP upgrades from the item pools.|
|Bethany||Conserve your faith||Using saved up hearts to complete the active item's charge will occasionally not use any hearts.|
|Jacob & Esau||What's yours is mine||Upon obtaining it, the character that collects it obtains three passive items of the other.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When taken by Isaac, if multiple items spawn (eg. Polaroid and Negative after beating Mom) both items get an alternative, but still only one can be taken, after that, all the other items disappear.
- However, the Shops still allows to the choice between alternatives of different items at the sale.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
9BSN 2V6M (Third Floor, in the Shop)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item originated from the Binding of Isaac: Community Remix mod, where it was known as 'Soul Script'.
- The item's new name and unlock requirement are likely a reference to the biblical story of Jacob and Esau, in which Esau trades his birthrights to Jacob in exchange for stew. The reference is strengthened by the Birthright's specific effect when taken by Jacob or Esau, allowing them to "inherit" the items of their brother.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Bug! This item tends to randomly crash the game upon pick up. Most noticed when picking up this item with the Jacob & Esau character if the other character does not have at least 3 passive items.
Bug! When picked up as Isaac, the game will often crash when a beggar or machine generates an item pedestal.