We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
This page outlines the rules of The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth wiki. Repeated breaking of these rules is grounds for revoking of editing rights. If there are any disputes or questions, please message one of the administrators or add it to the admin noticeboard. Any questions or comments on rules may be posted on the talk page.
The following rules pertain to editing the wiki:
Information in general[edit source]
- All speculation belongs on the discussion (talk) page for any particular article.
- Do not upload images or create pages dedicated to your specific runs. For example "this is what my character looks like" type uploads and comments are strictly prohibited. The community has a subreddit (see sidebar) where these things can go.
- When uploading images for items, follow the format listed in Template:ItemTable, and make sure that only the specific item you have is visible for the character appearance. For example, if you are adding an image for Monstrance, make sure it only has the mane and does not also include the appearance that 2Spooky gives you.
- Do not edit articles so that the content is gibberish or spam. This will result in a ban depending on the grievousness of the offense.
- Sign all comments on talk pages.
- Don't create articles on subjects already present. If an article has a different spelling from what you expected, do not create a new page, but instead start a discussion at the talk page of the article in question.
- Avoid posting redundant information within the same article. In the case of information being placed in infoboxes and the normal article, infoboxes takes priority; otherwise it's left to the editor to decide the best place for the information.
- Do not post seeds on item pages without reading the notice at the top of the page.
Behavior Rules[edit source]
The following rules pertain to editor conduct and behavior on the wiki:
- Never harass administrators or other editors. Harassment will bring about an automatic ban from editing, and the Curse team will be notified if the offense is grievous in nature. This includes conduct on the IRC channel (see Help:IRC for more details.)
Manual of Style[edit source]
This is an instruction manual that addresses the editing rules used by The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth wiki in writing, titles, pages, and linking. Please read it before you edit any pages. However, make sure to observe current trends as well as these rules.
This manual will address all editing rules in an objective manner, though there will be cases where editing rules are subjective. If there are any unresolved disputes over what best applies to the editing rules of The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth wiki, please contact an admistrator under the any of the means stated on top of the page.
Page titles[edit source]
The rules for page titles dictate that all proper nouns are capitalized, as are all locations, and names unless specifically not capitalized. Titles are not written like book titles with most words capitalized. For rules about how to properly spell and capitalize in-game terms check Help:Rules#Nouns, capitalization, and in-game terminology
Consistency in the titling of pages is desired in that it makes for a much more professional looking wiki with regards to the public perception of the wiki. Any page title that has a name in it should not be stored in a biographical format; i.e., "Edmund McMillen", and not "McMillen, Edmund" as the page title for Edmund McMillen. For pages where only a first name (Isaac) exists, or where an item is known by a title (such as Dr. Fetus) more than their proper name, those should be used as the only title of the page. As for Dr. Fetus, redirects from "Dr Fetus" and "Fetus in a Jar" may be used.
Also, only add links once within a given part of a page; if you say "Isaac" more than once in a section, only link it the first time it appears. Instances further apart from each other may be linked more than once, it is your decision on how far apart to place repeat links. For consistency, if most parts of a list are links, then link to an page as many times necessary in that list.
Nouns, capitalization, and in-game terminology[edit source]
- Items and all words in pages should always capitalized; they are considered proper nouns for the style of The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth wiki. "Lunch", "Mom's Lipstick", or "Wire Coat Hanger" are all correct as written; a page would not be titled "Wire coat hanger". Item/phrases should match to the in-game text, such as "Give mom a taste of her own medicine!" and not "give Mom a taste of her own medicine."
- Locations should also be capitalized in a manner uniform with English grammar; The Depths should always have the D in Depths capitalized.
- Regarding names and terms outside of The Binding of Isaac universe, things such as names, references, or level names such be italicized and wider terms, such as names of other video game series or real-world locations should have quotation marks around them. Example, "The Legend of Zelda" and rupee.
- In-game terminology should be properly capitalized, such as Treasure Room, Shop, or Blood Donation Machine.
- All shots fired by the various monsters should be referred to as "projectiles","bullets" or simply "shots" for the sake of consistency. The shots fired by Isaac should always be called "tears", excluding special cases of tear-changing items, such as Brimstone or Technology.
- Do not use personality (Northernlion, Bisnap, Cobalt, etc.) terminology in articles. (ie: calling Beggars "judgements".
Remember that consistency with the rules above is quite important, and your cooperation is always appreciated.
Use templates when appropriate. See Category:Templates for a list of useful templates. As a rule of thumb, use already existing pages to determine whether or not a template should be used.
Style of writing: editing, bias, and opinion[edit source]
Note that The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth Wiki is designed to be a resource for encyclopedia, and as such should have the best possible level of literary style. Also as an encyclopedia, please do not use the second person view in descriptions, as this is unprofessional: "You can get the item Dinner as a boss drop" is incorrect, while "The item Dinner is a boss drop" is correct.
Check for spelling and grammatical errors before editing a page; if you notice factual or spelling errors on a page other than the ones you have created, feel free to correct the problems, as this wiki is an open project. In order to avoid arguments over factual accuracy, it is best to provide source references for controversial statements. Furthermore, personal opinion (e.g: Samson is a terrible character) should not be added to articles, no matter how popular said opinion is. Speculation should also be avoided, unless directly confirmed by Edmund McMillen.
Image preferences[edit source]
Images are often a useful visual addition to the content of pages. However, in some cases, it is questionable what images are appropriate for pages.
- Please save in-game screenshots or sprite rips in .png format, and not .jpeg format.
- If there is official artwork, such as the art done by Edmund or game sprites, this is always the preferred image.
- If there is no official artwork, such as screenshots from the game or complementary side-material, ones created by contributing users are preferred over images taken from outside sources. There will inevitably be arguments about which user-created image is proper, as there is no exact rule on such; however, the image should generally be the highest quality available and the most informative image.
- Animated images should be avoided based with how big and distracting the animation is. Small uses, such as a blinking icon on a floor map to indicate the location of a specific type of room is acceptable.
- Replacing existing images is acceptable, since the wiki favors the image with the better quality, not the greater seniority. However, please avoid disputes by talking about the change with the original uploader before re-uploading the image's new version.
- In order to keep the amount of pictures manageable, please check for similar pictures before uploading. For example: There is no need for another picture of the Devil Room, since there are already enough depicting with that topic.
- Please refrain from uploading pictures that serve no purpose on this wiki. For anything non wiki related, use an external image host. Examples include: Pictures only meant for your User Page, screens showing items picked up during the last playthrough or a depiction of Isaac during a playthrough.
- Proper image cropping is required. Only the Isaac window should be shown, preferably without window borders.
- Images should be placed in the page's gallery or their proper locations (such as in an item table). With certain exceptions, placing images in random locations should be avoided, as it makes the page look messy.
Formatting preferences[edit source]
- For backgrounds and templates pages, obtrusively bright colors should be avoided. Generally, The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth Wiki style favors neutral and cool colors, such as light blue, grey, brown, and greyish brown.
- Smaller tables are generally better, assuming they still have adequate information. Even small things, such as a thin 1px border, are preferred.
We at The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth Wiki are here to create, provide, and maintain a large database filled with The Binding of Isaac information. Your help is appreciated more than you think.